Sunday, January 28, 2007

having watched 2 seasons of So You Think You Can Dance, the calibre of the dancers on Ch 5’s very own The Dance Floor is far from impressive. they pale in comparison to their American counterparts. even those who made it to the next round weren’t that fantastic.

the biggest problem I see is the lack of coordination among the dancers themselves. I may be no dance guru having been blessed with 2 left feet, but it’s incredibly distracting to watch 5 people doing 5 different things on stage. and all they want to do is da hip to da hop.

although I applaud the participation of the older generation, this show is turning out like Singapore Idol. desperate wannabes rejoice at the thought of fame, irregardless of whether they have any ounce of talent in them. as for those who fail to make it to the next round, they whine at how the judges got it wrong and how badly they needed the opportunity. FYI, you were given one except that you blew it.

and our dearest Miss Daphne Khoo. this is her (what?) 3rd shot at stardom. since Singapore Idol and West Grand Boulevard didn't work out, she can now be seen on TDF. so what do you want to do dearest Daphne? do you want to SING or do you want to DANCE? I was a fan of hers during the SI days but having to bear with her desperation for fame is pretty annoying. just stick to the books please my lady.

with the start of the latest season of American Idol, the same old problem is seen over and over. tone deaf individuals brave the long queues only to be told that they don’t have what it takes in a matter of minutes in the audition room. I honestly believe that the friends of these tone deaf wannabes who encourage them to sign up ought to have their mouths washed with Clorox. they nonchalantly lied to their gullible friends. these are the kind of people you shouldn’t be friends with.

I certainly won’t blame Simon & company for their hostility towards the untalented bunch. haven’t these donkeys watched at least a single episode of the previous 5 seasons? aren’t they aware of the standards that are required of them? I can only imagine how difficult it is for these judges to stifle their laughter.

well, as far as I am concern, if someone believed he was as talented as he claimed, he wouldn’t need these clichéd platforms to make it big. if he had been as talented, he would have music honchos and producers eager to groom him to become the next big superstar, albeit in singing or dancing.

I still watch these shows faithfully for I love its underdog factor. for starters, in the previous episode of AI, 2 best friends auditioned for the show together showing the untrained friend outshining her friend, who attended vocal lessons. it’s really nice to see these undiscovered talents grow throughout the competition.

in spite of all this, I know I’m being a bloody hypocrite myself. having participated in numerous singing competitions and never clinching the top prize, I should be fully aware by now that I haven’t got what it takes to be a singer. like Daphne, I pressed on believing that I am talented. but unlike Daphne, I realised my stupidity and shamelessness. for one thing, I know not to embarrass myself on national television by showing off my talents, or in this case lack of.

on a slightly different note, my tv schedule is getting a lot of free time. come the new week, there will be season finales for The OC, Beauty and The Geek 2 and Survivor Cook Islands. now this is awful as I already have to deal with no more SYTYCD, Scrubs and Laguna Beach. thankfully, Survivor Fiji should be aired soon enough, should Ch 5 decide to broadcast it in the first place. and then there’s The Amazing Race All Stars coming up.

I apologise for this biased post, the parties involved and the third parties affected by the negative externality.

oh and my mom turns 61 today.

No comments: